Wednesday 16 May 2012

News Arse archives: Witch slams Salem Prosecution Service for charges

In Salem, Massachusets, suspected witch Banshee McHarridan slammed the local prosecution service for charging her with witchy offences saying it was a "weak and unjust" decision to level the charges and dismissed the day's events as an "expensive sideshow and waste of public money".

Speaking outside her solicitor's office, McHarridan said she could not express how angry she was that the rest of her coven had been "unfairly dragged into this".

The decision to bring the first charges in the long-running witchcraft investigation, Operation Mass Panic, had been announced earlier by Magistrate Samuel Sewall, of the SPS, in a high-profile outdoor statement, the lawyer said, in the interests of "transparency and accountability". McHarridan, however, condemned the live broadcast as "the further unprecedented posturing of the SPS".

McHarridan and her husband revealed they were to be charged some 10 minutes before the SPS live announcement on Tuesday morning. They promised they would make a further statement after attending the police station. They did that shortly after 5pm outside their solicitor's office.

Looking tired, McHarridan said: "Whilst I have always respected the criminal justice system, you have to question whether this decision has been made on a proper impartial assessment of the evidence. Although I understand the need for a thorough investigation, I am baffled by the decision to charge me. However, I cannot express my anger enough that those close to me have unfairly been dragged into this. As the details of the case emerge people will see today as an expensive sideshow, and a waste of public money as a result of this weak and unjust decision."

Standing next to her, Mr McHarridan raised doubts that his wife would get a fair trial. "There are eight police officers, about the equivalent of eight sheep-rustling squads, working on this; so it doesn't surprise me that the pressure is on to prosecute, no matter how weak the cases will be," he said. "I am confident that the lack of evidence against me will be borne out in court, but I have grave doubts that my wife will ever get a fair trial, given the volume of biased commentary which she has been subject to."

He also condemned the decision as "an attempt to use me and others as scapegoats, the effect of which is to ratchet up the pressure on my wife, who I believe is the subject of a witch-hunt".

The local constabulary said all twenty-nine defendants were released on bail to appear at Salem magistrates on 13 June. Where they will be hanged.

No comments: