Wednesday 16 May 2012

In the courts: Brooks and Mladic face trials

Serb warlord Ratko Mladic begins his trial in The Hague today where he stands accused of war crimes, including orchestrating the massacre of 8000 men and boys at Srebrenica during the 1990s.

In an outspoken statement to the press, Mladic made a defiant attack on the "weak and unjust" charges levelled against him and expressed anger that those close to him had been "unfairly dragged into this". Looking tired, Mladic said "Whilst I have always fully respected the criminal justice system, you have to question whether this decision has been made on a proper impartial assessment of the evidence. Although I understand the need for a thorough investigation, I am baffled by the decision to charge me. As the details of the case emerge people will see today as an expensive sideshow, and a waste of public money as a result of this weak and unjust decision".

A confidant and co-accused of Mladic added "I am confident that the lack of evidence against me will be borne out in court, but I have grave doubts that my general will ever get a fair trial, given the volume of biased commentary which he has been subject to".

In London, former Sun and News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks was charged along with several others with perverting the course of justice, a charge relating to the hacking of Milly Dowler's voicemail while a police investigation into her disappearance was ongoing. Brooks told reporters that she "doesn't recognise the authority of the court" while criticising the charges as "obnoxious" and monstrous" and that she "does not want to hear a single letter of or sentence of that indictment read out to me". She closed by saying "I was just defending my country newspaper".

No comments: