Thursday 26 April 2012

Minister takes full responsibility by sacking adviser

Culture secretary Jeremy Hunt took full responsibility for everything that happens in his department by getting rid of special adviser Adam Smith yesterday.

Hunt told parliament that he "take[s] responsibility for the DCMS as secretary of state, as laid down in the ministerial code. This also states that the secretary of state takes responsibility for the actions of any special advisers appointed by him, and that's why I fired him".

"While I may have had five days of meetings with News Corp executives in the United States immediately before the decision to move for a takeover of BSkyB, while I may have been in direct contact with News Corp lobbyist Frederic Michel, while I may have overseen a department using personal e-mail accounts so that civil servants were kept out of the loop, I can assure the House that sacking one adviser to the department has solved everything and we're absolutely A-OK now, oh dear me yes", concluded Hunt's statement.

No comments: