Thursday 29 March 2012

Assad will "spare no effort" to implement UN plan

Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad today vowed to "spare no effort" to implement the peace plan drawn up by the UN and Arab League.

Talking to reporters in Beijing after leaving the Baghdad summit, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said "I have received a response [to the plan] from the Syrian government and it is positive".

Mr Assad said at a press conference "I would do anything to end the bloodshed. I'd run right into hell and back. I would do anything to end the bloodshed. I'd never lie to you and that's a fact. But I'll never foget the way you feel right now, woah-oh, oh no. And I would do anything to end the bloodshed, but I won't do that".

Pressed on the inherent ambiguity of 'that', Assad clarified by saying the thing that he wouldn't do was stop turning state forces and weapons of war on his own people.

No comments: